Thursday, February 28, 2013

Shapes paratha and Paratha cheese rolls

My little darling can become a tyrant when it is time for eating. When I approach her with food, she tries ignoring me, runs behind her grandpa and hides or throws a tantrum. She will do anything to get away from eating. This condition mostly manifests during breakfast time and sometimes during dinner time. I need to keep updating myself with new ways of making her eat and eat healthy.
 
I have a thing for recipe books. I guess the beautiful pictures are the culprits, more than the recipes themselves. So the other day I was looking up some books in Crossword when my eyes fell upon Tarla Dalal's recipe books. They are these small Rs. 85-95/- books that are really handy to use in the kitchen and have loads of information on the kind of ingredients to use , the nutritional content, substitutes and so on. I picked up 'Kid friendly snacks' and 'Pastas and Pizzas'. While the 2nd one can wait, I dived right into the kid friendly snacks. You can understand my desperation if you have a picky eater in your hands.
 
The 1st one I tried was 'Shapes paratha'. Tarla Dalal's name for it was 'Paushtik Paratha' made into triangles and because I made all kinds of shapes it became 'Shapes Paratha'.


 
 
Ingredients
1 cup Wholewheat flour (The original recipe asked to add 1/2 cup of Besan flour)
1 Potato - Boiled and mashed
1 carrot - grated
Handful of Spinach (or any other greens)
1/2 tsp Jeera seeds
1/4 tsp Ajwain (Omam)
1/2 tsp Dhania powder
1/2 tsp Jeera powder
1/4 tsp Garam masala
4 tbsp curd
Salt
 
Method
1.  Mix the mashed potato , grated carrot & sauteed spinach together
2. Add the Wholewheat flour, Jeera seeds, Ajwain, masala powders & salt and mix well (I omitted the green chilli in the original recipe as my daughter has not been initiated to it yet)
3. Add the curd 1 tbsp at a time and kneed as you would chapathi dough
4. Keep aside for 15 - 20 min and add more flour if it is too loose
5. Use the rolling pin and start making a big chapathi (It need not be too neat as you are going to cut it out anyway)
6. Use cookie cutters or just use a knife to carve up shapes - square, rectangle, oval, star, Hexagon, circle, etc
7. Spray a little ghee in the pan and turn both sides to brown it a bit and serve with curd or chutney
 
My little one simply loved it and kept coming back saying 'amma some more suare'. A normal traditional paratha session would have just gone on and on. The next day I made some improvisation on the same dough to make Paratha cheese rolls. Just roll out and cut into rectangles and turn it on the pan to brown both sides. Then place a bit of cheese and roll it while it is hot. You could try spreading jam, peanut butter or any other spread you are partial to. That was a super hit too.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment